Our general submission period for fiction, poetry, and nonfiction opens September 1 and goes through December 1 at 11:59 p.m.
We review work solicited by our editors year-round; please see guidelines by clicking on the category below or visit our website.
- The contest is open to former staff, volunteers, and interns of The Iowa Review (TIR).
- Manuscripts must include a cover letter listing your name, address, e-mail address and/or telephone number, and the title of each work. Paste the text of the cover letter into Submittable; do not include it as part of your uploaded document.
- Please indicate on your cover letter what year(s) and in what capacity you worked for TIR.
- Submit a poetry manuscript of up to 10 pages (whether one long poem or up to 10 shorter poems).
- Poems must be previously unpublished.
- Current students, faculty, or staff of the University of Iowa are not eligible to enter the contest.
For those who cannot access Submittable due to disability, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call 319-335-0462.
This category applies only to work that has been personally solicited by Iowa Review editors. Submission fees are waived for solicited work.
In your cover letter, please mention the name of the editor who solicited your work.
Note: If you submit using this category without having been personally invited to do so, we will withdraw your submission and ask that you kindly resubmit using the appropriate category.